Community Involvement – Why It’s Important
At Harmon we are committed to reaching out and making an impact in our community, it’s part of our core mission. That’s why many of us are involved in service and community involvement in some capacity. You’ll likely see one of our friendly faces out and about serving within the community where we work and/or live.
First off, what is community involvement? Isn’t that just volunteering?
Well it can involve volunteering, yes. But it’s so much more than that. Being involved in things like a rotary club, chamber and economic development council events, having a seat on a board for a local non-profit would all be considered community involvement in our book. Then there are things we do together, like building a playhouse to benefit an ALS fundraiser, helping renovate a transitional home, or helping stock a soup kitchen down the road from our office. We have staff that volunteer as mentors and read to hospital-bound children in our community, are active in their local church with things like worship leading and teaching Sunday school, others take on active roles with industry-related group.
So why is Community Involvement important to us?
- We know that any kind of involvement in our community can lead to long-lasting partnerships. Working together in any capacity allows for deeper relationships to from than just from networking alone.
- Helping others excel brings value to the community and brings more growth opportunities for everyone.
- It builds personal character. Learning and developing ourselves isn’t supposed to have an end. Being involved allows us to reflect on ourselves and get better along the way.
- We care deeply about the future of our families, workplace, city, community, etc. What better way to show it?
- All of our have passions and personal motivations. This is a way to put them to good use.
- Being involved allows access to training and educational programs for personal development, particularly through industry groups and events. Opportunities to improve and develop leadership skills are also abundant.
So what are you waiting for? Get involved, there are so many benefits.
How are you involved in your community? Are there areas you’d like to see Harmon participate more in?
Are you wondering how Harmon can help with your next project?
Give us a call 913.962.5888, or contact us here.