At a recent event, Tim Harmon spoke about re-branding for success. Here are a few of his key points:
Words of Wisdom and Courage for the Journey
- “Continuous effort – not strength or wisdom – will unlock the key to our maximum potential.” (Winston Churchill) In other words, don’t wallow in failures or rely on past victories’.
- “Plans are just good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work.” (Peter Drucker) You can expect it to be hard, but expect dividends as well.
- Don’t be afraid to innovate; be different: Following the herd is a sure way to mediocrity. Find a new way of thinking… outside the box. Become a thought leader.
Actions and Change Agents
Here are a few examples of what Harmon has done in the past couple of years that has helped us to “win” in the new economy. Maybe there are a few things you could be doing right now to change your business for the better!
- Paid off debt on equipment and vehicles.
- Invested in a Marketing Director: Social Media, New Interactive Website, Newsletters, Open Houses and Community Events.
- Public / Community Service: Encouraged our associates to be more engaged in the community, Chambers, Volunteerism and meeting new people and prospects.
- Researched new revenue streams: Developed business models and SWOT analysis performed.
- Re-Formed Advisory Board: Six meetings annually including a budgeting/planning retreat.
- Prospecting: Became strategic, set goals and expectations, recalibrate frequently.
- Communication to our team: Get everyone on the same page. Company retreats (2x per year). Share your Mission, Vision and Strategic Plan for the company. Key: When asked, every associate should, without hesitation, have a clear and concise “20 second elevator speech” about their firm.
- Celebrate your victories: Big, small and even a “no cavities” report from your dentist.
- Free Pub…. Not happy hour pub, although you’ll be much happier when you firm shows up in a Chamber video, Ingram’s “Best of the Best” feature, or the Top 25 list in your field of expertise.
- Stick with Business Model/Strategy. Our registered tagline “Building Relationships Before Buildings“ is more than just words. All of our projects are relationship based. At least 80% are repeat customers or referral based. Know what you’re good at and what you’re not.
How You Think Is Everything. Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Beware of a negative environment. Be Persistent and Work Hard: Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.