Our Silver Anniversary
From our president: Tim Harmon
25 years in business seems like a long time, until you look back and wonder, where did all the time go? Here’s a brief history:
– Moved to Kansas City (from the Seattle area with new bride of 6 months) as a Project Scheduler for the General Motors Fairfax Assembly Plant (KCK).
– Founded Harmon-Laughlin Construction in basement of home in Olathe, KS after counting a dozen tower cranes along College Boulevard.
– Experienced Black Monday Stock Market Crash in October – Lost nothing, had nothing to lose.
– Moved to permanent office in Shawnee (400 SF).
– Reached $1,000,000 in sales; Bought out partner.
– Achieved “Top 25 Commercial Contractor” in Metro Area per Kansas City Star, Business Journal and Ingram’s Magazine for the first time of many successive years.
– Became recognized as one of the most successful Design / Build and Construction Management firms in the area.
– Distinguished Corporate Citizen Award (Shawnee Chamber).
– Harmon builds new office complex and relocates headquarters to Olathe, KS south of the Garmin campus.
– Ingram’s Magazine readers select Harmon as one of the “Best of Business” Small Commercial Contractors.
2007 – 2012
– Harmon reestablishes self as market leader in three strategic areas: Healthcare, Commercial/Industrial and Worship Facilities.
– Celebrating and toasting 25 years in Kansas City Building Relationships.
When my new wife and I left my home state of Washington for an opportunity to build the billion dollar GM Fairfax Facility, I never envisioned that the Heartland would become our permanent home. Twenty-seven years of marital bliss and five children later, we’re very entrenched in community service, church activities and yes… Building Relationships and Buildings.
Our client list includes some of the most recognized businesses and non-profits in the region. Our mantra of “Building Relationships Before Buildings” continues to serve us well. Over 90% of our business is derived from past clients or referrals.
I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge our Management Team – Joe McManus has been with us almost the entire 25 years and Randy McCormick for over 12 years. Several others have long tenures as well. We’re building a sustainable company of servant leaders. Let me know if we can assist you in your next project. Here’s a toast to the next 25 years.